WELCOME to the Northwest Ohio Making Schools Work regional web page.
What’s Making News!
Congratulations to the 2023 National Pacesetter Site from NW Ohio!
- Penta Career Center
This school was named a 2023 National Pacesetter Site by the Southern Regional Education Board in Atlanta and is among the schools nationwide that will receive this honor at the Making Schools Work Conference in July 2023 in Orlando, Florida.
Spotlight on Educators in the Workplace: See what is happening in NW Ohio!
Spotlight on the February 22 Workshop with John Almarode:
This NW Regional professional development had one of our largest number of attendees with our NW schools well represented and some guest participants from the CSE Region. John’s presentation was very engaging and kept everyone focused on the topic throughout the day.
Congratulations to Debra Schneider, 2022 SREB Change Champion Award Recipient!
Debra Schneider received the Change Champion Award from SREB at the Coaching for Change Conference in Atlanta on May 26. Debra is a HSTW coach in the NW Ohio region and coaches Penta Career Center, a three-time SREB Pacesetter Award-winning Site.
About the Ohio Making Schools Work NW Region
The Northwest Ohio Region provides technical assistance in comprehensive systemic school reform to 21 High Schools,25 Middle Schools, 9 Public K-8 Schools, and 4 Career Centers. We welcome any schools in our region that may wish to explore Making Schools Work as their model for school improvement. Our NW Ohio Making Schools Work Regional services include the following:
- Regional Professional Development (PD) – Our workshops are free and open to any school in our region. Presenters’/facilitators’ topics and strategies are chosen with our schools’ needs in mind. During the PD, we set aside time for attendees to network with other teachers, site coordinators, and administration.
- Site Coach – A site coach will aide one’s school in constructing and implementing their Site Action Plan for continuous improvement. By attending building leadership team meetings, etc., the site coach becomes a valued resource for providing assistance with team building and in-house professional development.
- Targeted Support – Every 3-5 years, the site coach works with the leadership team and staff to complete a Site Review. This process provides additional data on the progress made on the school’s Site Action Plan.
- Mini-Grants – In addition to the schools’ HSTW/MMGW grant monies, we offer mini-grant opportunities for teams working on specific goals. Past mini-grants have been awarded for literacy, standards-based grading, career and work-based study, and PLC’s.
- Additional Assistance – Every other year, teaching staff and 8th-and 12th-grade students complete online surveys. These surveys provide additional data through teacher and student voice.
Meet Our Team: